These Paleo crackers are a great alternative to buying store bought, and it’s easier than it sounds! They’re filled with tasty Italian spices like garlic, oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, and marjoram. Blend them with flax seeds, and of course kale to spread them to very thin wafers of delightful crunch. Then they’re ready to take on delicious dips or toppings. My favorites are savory mackerel blends or even cauliflower hummus!
I didn’t have the convenience of flax meal on hand, so I just threw a cup of flax seeds into the food processor for a couple minutes. After this I broke the kale into pieces and peeled the garlic and added that plus the spices to the food processor until it was blended.
I greased a cookie sheet with olive oil, and put half of the mixture (it makes two sheets) in the middle of the sheet. Using a piece of wax paper, I rolled the kale mixture as evenly as I could to the ends. What matters most with these crackers is to MAKE THEM THIN!
While it’s possible to roll this out evenly by hand, it’s much easier to get bamboo skewers and place them directly into the mixture where you’d draw a break line, and use them as guides for getting very thin and even crackers. Remove the skewers and draw other lines where you’d like the crackers to break. Don’t stress about these being straight or pretty, they’re going to be eaten so fast it won’t matter one bit!
I just used my spatula to scrape around and redistribute the kale. I’m not terribly picky about the kale crackers being perfectly square, but some people really enjoy making them perfect. You could experiment if you like with just leaving them in a single sheet and breaking them, or doing various shapes. Whatever you like!
I also like to prick each kale cracker with a fork to help with more even cooking, not to mention a more traditional cracker look. Now use a brush to spread a coat of olive oil on the whole sheet. Then sprinkle the whole sheet of kale crackers with salt and paprika as you think you’d like it.
Of course I did have a helper place a very pretty hand directly in the middle of my sheet of kale crackers. They love these crackers so much! The hardest part is just waiting for them to finish!
Bake your kale crackers at 325° F for about 30 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 180° F and crack the oven door (I just stick a potholder in the door). Bake them at this reduced heat for another hour or two depending on how thick your kale crackers are (the thinner the better).
- 1 bunch of kale
- half a bulb of garlic
- 1 cup milled flax seed
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp Italian Spice blend
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and break apart the kale into pieces and blend in the food processor.
- After the kale is blended, add the peeled garlic, water, egg, spices, and flax meal to the food processor and combine.
- Grease two cookie sheets with olive oil, place two bamboo skewers parallel on the cookie sheet, and place half of the kale cracker mixture directly on the bamboo skewers in the middle of each sheet.
- Cover each sheet with wax paper and use a rolling pin to even out the kale cracker mixture. Using a spatula scrap the sides that need it and redistribute elsewhere.
- After the sheets are even. Gently draw in cracker break lines where you would like them, with a fork prick in each kale cracker.
- Brush on a coat of olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and paprika to taste.
- Bake at 325° F for half an hour, reduce heat to 180° F and crack the door for another hour or two depending on the thickness of your crackers and desired crunch level.